Sunday, October 23, 2011

The Trip Over (Natova)

Ray and I are finally reunited and it feels so good! I could not wait until we were together again after 1 month, 27days, (or 1392 hours, or 5,011,200 seconds, or...well, you get the idea) of being apart from one another.  So let the honeymoon begin, but first let me tell you about my flight experience to Abu Dhabi where I met several challenges. 

Challenge #1: Packing
The day of my departure from the USA I began to sort through what to take and what could be left behind. I brought everything into my mom’s living room and started to sort and separate, but only to come to the conclusion that I needed everything! I packed and stuffed my four suitcases until one of the zippers busted, but it was fixable. Upon loading the car my nerves started to set in while contemplating the long flight and the big move I was about to make.  After several goodbyes to family and friends, my parents and I were on our way to the Orlando International Airport for my flight to New York then to Abu Dhabi. My parents helped me lug in my suitcases and we approached the counter to check in.  To my surprise, one of my bags was over the weight restriction of 70lbs and the other bags were fairly close. I had to move to a special area where I had to unpack and repack my personal items and clothing out in the open and try to balance the weight appropriately. This was a bit embarrassing.  However, I managed to get everything situated except for some of my music CDs and the Bible Experience on CD as while, so thing worked out okay in the end. 

Challenge # 2: Short Layover & 12 hour flight
My flight from Orlando to New York was 20 minutes behind schedule. This was a cause from concern because my layover was only an hour and half between the two flights. Plus, I wasn’t sure where the international terminal was and how long it was going to take me to get there.  After landing, I waited with anticipation to get on my way to the next terminal and get myself mentally ready for the 12 hour flight. Sadly to say, things did not go as planned. I got off the plane and moved as quickly as I could, reading any sign that would direct me to the international terminal. I walked what I felt to be a mile or so to the Air Tran which would take me to my final terminal. After getting to my terminal, I walked to the counter to get my boarding pass and was promptly told I MISSED MY FLIGHT. I was late checking in and my flight was currently boarding. Fortunately, the lady at the counter checked me in anyway which gave me hope that I would make the flight. I moved expeditiously (i.e. running frantically) to where the signs pointed to gate B27, only to run into a line requesting my passport and boarding pass. I asked a lady staff member if I could move up because my flight was boarding now and she graciously said no. Ladies! We must help each other out. I managed to get through the line and ran right into another line for security. I was thinking to myself, “Didn’t I go through this already?” Apparently, I had to go through the whole shoes off, belt, body scan and electronic check again prior to actually getting to my gate. I stood in line terrified I wasn’t going to make this flight that Ray and I have been anticipating for so long. Luckily, a male staff member passed by and with my stylish good looks and charming personality I was able to get pushed through to the front of the line while hearing my flight number being called for immediate boarding. Still hoping to make my flight before the gate close I ran with my shoes in tow until I could see B27 in sight. At this time I needed to take a break, my body and lungs wasn’t used to a full on sprint to the finish line. I jogged my way to the gate and was told it was okay to put my shoes on as they giggled at my appearance, shoes in hand, bent over trying to catch my breath. Once I entered the plane it finally hit me where I was headed. The plane was filled with Arabic and Indian people and very few Americans, especially African Americans.  I found my seat, phoned home and prepared myself for the ride. 

Traveling twelve hours in a closed in area, miles in the air and in one seat threw up a couple of alarms for me. I don’t like feeling too closed in then or stuck with no fresh air, but the flight wasn’t so bad. After eating, watching a couple of episodes, movie and sleep, we were landing. You’re going to be sleep most of the time, therefore, traveling during the evening hours are the best way to fly. Exiting the plane I was excited to see Ray, but once again I had to go through passport and security check AGAIN. Really? Did anything change from Orlando and New York? Finally, I made it through customs and retrieved my bags and went on my way to search for my husband. In which, I could not find him for about 30mins. After standing around for a bit I decided to keep it moving in hope to find him and to stop the stares from some of the men. I turned the corner and there he was … tall, well dressed, clean shaved and smelling good. I noticed he lost a couple of pounds, well more like 20lbs, but looking so handsome. I’m so glad to be with him again to explore and create new memories together.

No comments:

Post a Comment